Friday 24 February 2012

What's Your Dream?

I recently read a great quote which said, "The poorest of all men is not the one without a nickel to his name. He is the fellow without a dream... [He is like] a great ship made for the mighty ocean but trying to navigate in a millpond. He has no far port to reach, no lifting horizon, no precious cargo to carry. His hours are absorbed in routine and petty tyrannies. Small wonder if he gets dissatisfied, quarrelsone and "fed up." One of life's greatest tragedies is a person with a 10-by-12 capacity and a two-by-four soul." Kenneth Hildebrand


I can relate to this quote on many levels!


Most people I know have a dream...or dreams. But...How many of us actually believe that we will achieve the dream? How many of us are willing to do the work to make it happen?


I have a few dreams; many of which have been on the back burner for quite some time...until now. I shared one of them with you in the previous blog (See blog from Feb.20.12). There is much to do in order to get to the point of fulfillment but I believe it is possible and I am prepared to follow through on whatever is necessary for it to become a reality.


My heart in writing this blog is not just to tell you all about my life and my dreams but to spur you on and encourage you to dream and actually DO what you only hoped you could do!


I believe that one has to actually be able to 'see' the dream; actually know what it would look like, feel like, sound like, smell like and taste like - as if they are already there doing it. If we don't know the answer to these things, how will we know that it has actually come to pass? We must know what the target is so that we can aim for it and hit it.


Zig Ziglar once said, "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."


How true this statement is!


Below are 4 questions to get you thinking about your dream and what it will take to make it a reality. There are other things that must be considered but this is a good start (more to come later). I would encourage you to find a quiet place, grab a pen and a note pad and begin to think about and jot down answers to these questions. For each question, write down everything that comes to mind no matter how detailed. 


1. What is your Dream?
2. What will it take to get there?
3. How will you stay on track?
4. How will you know that you've achieved it?


I would love to hear your feedback on how this exercise went for you. You are welcome to make a comment below or email me at: yourlifeonpurpose@hotmail.com.


Have fun dreaming!





2 comments:

  1. Crystal,

    I just heard Carolyn Arends singing "Seize the Day"

    Here's the words - it fits so well with your comments:

    Well I know a man who's been doin' some thinkin'
    He's as bitter and cold as the whiskey he's drinkin'
    He's talkin' bout fear 'bout chances not taken
    If you listen to him you can hear his heart breakin'
    He says "One day your're a boy The next day you're dead
    I wish way back when someone had said..."

    Seize the day Seize whatever you can
    Cause life slips away just like hourglass sand
    Seize the day pray for grace from God's hand
    That nothin' will stand in your way Seize the day

    Well one thing I've noticed wherever I wander
    Everyone's got a dream he can follow or squander
    You can do what you will with the days you are given
    I'm tryin' to spend mine on the business of livin'
    So I'm singin' my songs off of any old stage
    You can laugh if you want I'll still say

    Seize the day Seize whatever you can
    Cause life slips away just like hourglass sand
    Seize the day pray for grace from God's hand
    That nothin' will stand in your way Seize the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a song! So true. Thanks for sharing it!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.