Sunday 15 April 2012

Surrender! Just Let Go...

Surrender? Let go?....Ya right! Easier said than done!

First of all, what does it mean to surrender? Dictionary.com defines it like this:
1. to yield (something) to the possession or power of another;deliver up possession of on demand or under duress.
2. to give (oneself) up, as to the police.
3. to give (oneself) up to some influence, course, emotion,etc.
4. to give up, abandon, or relinquish (comfort, hope, etc.).
5. to yield or resign (an office, privilege, etc.) in favor of another.

6. to give oneself up, as into the power of another; submit or yield.
7. the act or an instance of surrendering.
8. Insurance . The voluntary abandonment of a life-insurance policy by the owner for any of its nonforfeiture values.
9. the deed by which a legal surrendering is made.

The type of surrender I'm going to share about today has mainly to do with the position of our hearts and lives before God. It's about yielding, giving over and letting go.

In the midst of the busy-ness of work and play as well as the pursuit of my goals and dreams (which I believe are God-inspired), I hear His still, small voice asking me to surrender to Him; particularly my future. Even though I have a bit of a sense of what the future may hold, there are so many unknowns! I'm sure you can relate. Like most people I like to be in control and holding the reins of my life (but also want God to have a say too!). I like having some sort of a plan, even if it's somewhat vague. At least it's a plan. I confess that I have sometimes found myself jumping the gun and doing things at the wrong time and/or the wrong way. I have not always taken the time to seek the Lord in detail and given him room to speak and provide more specific direction so that I would remain on course. But, I'm learning...a slow learner at times. :) 

One area I'm learning about is patience...and...waiting for the right time for the fulfilment of things God has put in my heart. Man, that is hard! As you probably already know, patience is a fruit of the Spirit and is super important in life and in the kingdom of God. God graciously provides opportunities for me to learn patience. Sometimes it drives me crazy but I know that the outcome is growth and maturity and that I will be more like Christ. That is His desire for you too! 

He desires for us to yield and to give ourselves over to Him completely. A surrendered soul is beautiful to behold.

Do you remember times in your life when you were completely surrendered to God and His purposes? Do you remember times when you were not yielded to Him and life just seemed more challenging, stressful and difficult? I do. The times of complete surrender were amazing and peaceful and I felt close to God. I had peace even in the midst of challenging circumstances. I also remember times when I fought letting go of things and it was awful. I was stressed, miserable, sleep-deprived and lacked His peace. I felt further away from God because I was resisting letting go. Not a fun place to be and I'm not looking for a repeat!

There's a scripture in the Bible where Jesus says, "Listen carefully: Unless a grain of wheat is buried in the ground, dead to the world, it is never any more than a grain of wheat. But if it is buried, it sprouts and reproduces itself many times over. In the same way, anyone who holds on to life just as it is destroys that life. But if you let it go, reckless in your love, you'll have it forever, real and eternal."   John 12:24-25 (The Message)

"The greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender." William Booth, Founder of The Salvation Army

"We find by losing. We hold fast by letting go. We become something new by ceasing to be something old.  This seems to be close to the heart of that mystery. I know no more now than I ever did about the far side of death as the last letting-go of all, but now I know that I do not need to know, and that I do not need to be afraid of not knowing. God knows. That is all that matters."  Frederick Buechner

What is Father God asking you to surrender and entrust to him today? Will you join me in taking a few moments to prayerfully surrender and let go of those things you know He doesn't want you to hang on to for your own good? He desires that you be completely free and completely at peace. He is the One who holds all things together and He makes all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose!
 
"Let go and let God."  Unknown

Blessings to you all! 

Crystal


3 comments:

  1. This is a reminder of the opportunity to use faith; letting go is just that. Knowing and believing that God will look after EVERYTHING if we just let go. Faith is a glorious blessing and one that only has value if used. Thanks for the reminder. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. So true and well said! Surrender and letting go requires us to step out in faith believing, as you said, that He will take care of everything. In this, there is great peace. May God bless you as you journey with Him. :)

      Delete
  2. Totally needed this today my dear friend! Thank you for the challenge :) much love!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.